Old 20-08-2003, 12:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Propagating Lavender

"K" wrote in message
I have a very large rather woody lavender that I want to dig out as I am
replanning that section of the garden. I don't want to move the whole

thing
but I don't want to lose it altogether so would like to take some

cuttings.
Is this a good time to do it, and which method should I use?

Thanks

Possibly better later, but as long as you keep the cuttings moist you should
be O.K.

For me, it works best with pulling off a small side shoot (2"-3") with a
stem which is slightly woody.
Strip off the larger leaves just leaving a little tuft of small leaves at
the top.
I dip the end in rooting compound - but check other threads for views on
this - and then put a number of cuttings in normal potting compost around
the edges of a medium sized pot.
You can cover the pot with a clear plastic sandwich bag held on with a
rubber band to keep the cuttings humid for the first few days.

Not the classic way of doing things, but worked for me last year.

HTH
Dave R

P.S. advisable to wait until the cuttings are established before removing
the bush :-)