Old 20-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Propagating Lavender - now also cold frame construction

"AWM" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
I have a very large rather woody lavender that I want to dig out as I am
replanning that section of the garden. I don't want to move the whole

thing
but I don't want to lose it altogether so would like to take some

cuttings.
Is this a good time to do it, and which method should I use?

Cuttings are a good idea as sadly older Lavatera don't tend to move well

Lavatera - Mallow
Lavandula - Lavender.

they are surface rooters that spread fiberous roots out over a very wide
area and as they tend to be all the hardy anyway the outlook isn't good
, ---- I lost 3 out of 6 last year
I am going to have to cut one of the surviors back very hard this year as

it
has gone totally out of control and is taking over the garden :-(

I find the whites and purples aren't anything like as hardy as the more
common barbie pink ones.

I am thinking of build a cold frame myself can anybody give general
guidelines for construction ?

I made myself one out of the double skinned plastic sheets used for
conservatory roofing. It was dead easy and has worked a treat for twelve
years.
I used Duct tape for making the joints. They need servicing about every
three years.

Franz