Old 20-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Bill R

Default Transplanting Peonies?

Peggy Elliott wrote:
I have a friend of a friend who doensn't want his peonies anymore and is
offering them free for the digging. Somewhere in the back of my mind I
recall that they don't handle transplanting well. Whats the odds on
survival if I dig them up and replant them? I'm in zone 7, central
Virginia and I have Davidson clay soil (rich in nutrients, red, acidic).

Peg

Peg,

I have transplanted several peonies that my neighbors have
given me and they have all done fine. It is best to wait
until fall to transplant them but if you can't wait be sure
that they are watered well throughout the rest of the
summer. Be sure that you don't plant them too deep when you
move them to your yard.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850