Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 PM
CbarRose

Default Bees nesting in lawn

(Sed5555) wrote:

Would someone here help identify a social bee that nests in lawns?

Could be "digger" bees, (anthropodidae):
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/diggers.htm

To sed5555, larflu, Beecrofter, and all who responded to my quest:

I got a better look this morning and the bees are almost certainly digger bees.
Yellow fuzzy thorax with a dark spot in the midpart of the back; black head;
black abdomen with (I think I can see) a yellow first segment. 1/2 inch to 3/4
inch, sizes not uniform. Flight seems fast and zigzaggy right now, but I'm not
sure if that's a constant over the course of the day (and I don't the
characteristics of digger bee flight, anyway). But most importantly,
pollen-dusted bees are going into individual holes that are very close to one
another, over an area of about 30 square feet.

The first day we saw a large number of bees (100 or more) over what seemed to
be one hole. It also seemed as if multiples of bees were going in and out of
that one hole. However, I now believe that our activity in the area (with the
kids playing, etc.) caused the disorientation, perhaps. There is still one
hole that's much larger than the others, and I'm wondering if it would be
possible that most of nests are digger bee nests, with the large one belonging
to a colony of social bees? (It doesn't look as if it were enlarged by other
wildlife.) Either way, these bees are some of the most gentle bees (according
to their behavior.....the toddler actually grabbed the bee and it was down her
shirt before she was stung).

I'm so grateful for the responses from this terrific group. I'm trying to save
these bees for many reasons, not the least of which is that these are the very
ones that pollinate my flowers and work side by side with me in my garden a few
houses away.

Thanks so very much,
Carol
Northeastern U.S.