Old 20-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Bees nesting in lawn

pamnot (CbarRose) wrote in
:

I got a better look this morning and the bees are almost certainly
digger bees.

I thought you said that your neighbors said that the local beekeeper
said that they were bumblebees:

pamnot (CbarRose) wrote in
:

The first site you indicated above was one I'd visited earlier but I
just went back and reread the following which appears under the
Bumble Bee section:

snip

This is the scenario we're witnessing now, with many males flying
around the entrance. My neighbors have summoned, through the advice of
the township, a local beekeeper, who confirms the identification. We

pamnot (CbarRose) wrote in
:

Yellow fuzzy thorax with a dark spot in the midpart of the back; black
head; black abdomen with (I think I can see) a yellow first segment

I doesn's seem to match the digger bee picture in the link provided by
sed5555 ... shiny green non-spotted thorax, head hard to tell but looks
greenish, does have yellow segment.

Is it a carpenter bee?
http://www.prokillpestcontrol.biz/bees.htm
They have a dark spot on the thorax and looks like it might have a yellow
thin segment.

Wow, searching for pictures ... there are an awful lot of kids, pets and
Autobots masquerading as bumblebees.

-- Salty