Old 20-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Gail Futoran

Default how to plant in baskets?

"Axolotl" wrote in message
30...
What is the recommendation for plant pond plants?
I am going to use the "standard" plastic basket type

planters, but somebody
told me that I should line it with landscaping fabric in

order to keep the
roots under control.
Is this a good idea?
For Lilies?
For cattails?
Other Plants?

TIA
Axo

You will probably get a variety of opinions on this. I
plant my hardy water lilies & anacharis in plastic dishpans
or Sterlite containers. I used fine clay from my yard and
put lots of pea gravel on top. So far it seems to work
well, but I have small ponds, ranging fron 110 to about 200
gallons, no more than 2' deep.

Rushes I have planted in a long flower pot (those pots used
for window plantings, whatever they're called) and a
Creeping Jenny is in an open-mesh pond pot. Those, also,
are doing well, although the rushes appear to be growing out
of their pot a bit.

Gail
San Antonio TX area