Old 20-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Simon Avery

Default Tree Felling

"Siggy" wrote:

Hello Siggy

S Has anyone got any idea how much it would cost for a tree
S surgeon to cut down a 25M poplar tree in our garden? I'm
S guessing about £1000 how far out am I?

Depends on:

1. Access - if you want it taken away it'll be a lot more, even if
they can get a wagon right underneath.

2. Viability of felling. If it can be felled then it's far cheaper. If
it has to be climbed and dismantled, lots more - especially if each
section has to be lower on rope.

3. Region. The SE is more expensive, from what I've heard.

A grand could be realistic, but it might be a lot cheaper (I've felled
and burnt similar trees for half a days work for two guys, 100-200
quid). But a job like yours, worse case, might take 3-4 days for 3-4
guys (and I'm talking absolute worst case).

Get some quotes - the best tree surgeon I knew (and worked for) never
advertised at all, but other good ones do. NEVER allow a surgeon onto
your property for a large job like this unless they have adequate
public liability insurance, and do check the certificate. (1-2 million
quid is the norm) If they also contract for the council and the
services (power, mostly) then they should be ok, especially if they've
worked there for a while.

3 quotes should give you a fair idea. Cheapest not always best, but
neither is the most expensive. Cowboys do exist in this area but are
hard to spot unless you know how the work should be done. Good and bad
both use scruffy vehicles and look rough - the only judge is
reputation, and it's hard to get that outside of the trade.

Don't rely on much of a discount for the timber, poplar isn't really
sought after for timber or firewood.