Old 20-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Tree Felling

The message
from (Simon Avery) contains these words:

A grand could be realistic, but it might be a lot cheaper (I've felled
and burnt similar trees for half a days work for two guys, 100-200
quid). But a job like yours, worse case, might take 3-4 days for 3-4
guys (and I'm talking absolute worst case).

Very, very worst. We took down two poplars in North London. They were
polled at about twelve feet, and the three trunks on one and the two on
the other were over 120 feet.

The owner couldn't find a company to cover his household insurance
because both trees were rotten to some extent, and were already
dangerous.

The main boles were nearly six feet in diameter at the bases, and our
36" Pioneer power saw only just met in the middle when we came to take
them down.

Because there was nowhere to take them down in one go we (about five of
us) spent four days taking them down from the tops downwards.

Our charge was one thousand five hundred pounds, but that was thirty
years ago. The nearest quote he had to ours was three thousand, and one
company wanted ten thousand.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to