Old 21-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Katra

Default Mould retardants in bread: was: Allergy to Bt cotton?

Steve Bell wrote:

"cp1c" wrote in message ...
Ingredients identified in the Foray 48B spray are
methyl paraben
(methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate), benzoic acid/sodium benzoate,
propylene glycol, potassium sorbate, sorbitol, hydrochloric acid,
and polyacrylic acid.

The other ingredients - Btk, fermentation solids and water - are already
publicly known.

all harmless by themselves but some people react badly to this combination
in a very fine aerosol when inhaled

A question that's long been in the back of my mind: I understand
sodium benzoate and methyl benzoate are (or were) used as mould
retardants in bread, but are now banned, at least in NZ, if not more
widely.

What is the perceived harm here, and is it greater than the potential
ill-effects of eating mouldy bread?

Any clarification welcome. It looks as tho' all groups in the header
would be relevant in one way or another, but aplogies if I'm OT for
some.

Steve B.

Why don't you just give up bread like I did?
It's not that good for you anyway....

That way you won't have to worry about it. ;-)

And it helps in weight loss/maintenance.
If you eat bread, you may just as well be
eating donuts. :-P Refined flour is as bad
as sugar when it comes to carbohydrate metabolism.

But, that's just my opinion...

When I did my research on food sensitivities in an attempt
to control my IBS, (two of the main contributors to that
painful, lifelong condition are food sensitivities and stress),
I discovered that 5%, 1 out of every 20 people, is sensitive or
allergic to wheat proteins!

That's one hell of a lot of people.

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra