Old 21-08-2003, 03:12 AM
JNJ

Default Poison Ivy

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I guess the problem with the roundup
is that we have so much poison ivy that we never seem to get it all, and
we don't want to kill all the other plants next to it. Although on
isolated patches of PI that i have killed with roundup, new PI plants
sprouted back up in a month or so. I have never heard of this brush
killer so I will look into that. Thanks again!

Kim -- You may want to consider using a paint brush in areas that have
plants you want to keep. If they actually touch the PI, then pulling is
generally a better bet but you can still use RoundUp -- just put a piece of
cardboard around it as well (that way the RoundUp'd leaves don't even touch
the other plants.

A heavy infestation will take a couple of seasons to fully eradicate -- PI
is a berry producer which means the little birdies just love it and spread
it everwhere. Trust me though -- you CAN get rid of it to the point
that it's not too difficult to manage.

The other product that I mentioned in my post was Ortho's "Brush-B-Gon".
Brush-B-Gon is a bit slower acting than RoundUp but it is equally effective
as a non-specific herbicide. I did a one-two punch on an area of weeds here
(i.e., I hit it with both) and I'm pleased to say that everything died to
the ground and now, almost a month later, I only have 2 or 3 weeds
re-sprouting -- good stuff.

James