Old 21-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Brian Sandle

Default Allergy to Bt cotton?

In sci.agriculture wrote:
On a cursory scan I can see nothing
(unfortunately, there's someone called Butcher, BT, who seems to have
done a lot of work on byssinosis and cotton, but not as far as I can
see on Bt).

Who is going to bother to research it?

Who is bothering with the lungs of child outworkers helping their parents
to get paid for their contracts?

Please explain this further [child outworkers helping their parents
etc]

Linkname: Jan 2001, Child labour in Australian garment industry
size: 105 lines

I think I have posted in the past refs to lists of companies who do or
don't adhere to a code since then.

I suppose some famrers will have tales to tell about child labour on
farms. Gordon has related stuff to us about the old days.

A problem with some farms is the back-breaking work. There is room for
ingenious inventors of hand-tools. My back was bad when I was young, but I
wasn't doing bend over work. Now I am experimenting with not eating grain,
even rice, and my lower back is much better.

In a homogeneous society one way may suit everyone, but it may be cruel
when people are different. For some the chemicals are the trouble, and
they can't read the labels very functionally.

Then who is to know when nettles start growing in a Roundup Ready soy,
corn, or cotton field, and Roundup lets them grow, and someone says you'll
have to get Pursuit and mix it. It works but do they know the extra
cautions? The company wants to make money, and may not be the best
advisor. Who else is there?