Old 21-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default HELP - weeds in new lawn

Well you did not pick the best time to start the lawn. Fall is much
better than summer.

As for the weeds in the back. After seven weeks you should be able to
use a selective week killer (like 24D) with little harm to the grass. DO
NOT use a weed and feed. This is not the time for feeding your lawn. Wait
about a month. The end of September would be good and then use a fall type
of fertilizer (low nitrogen).

Weed and feed products are almost always bad for your lawn. You end up
using one or the other at the wrong time. The sell product, but they don't
do your lawn any favors.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

wrote in message
om...
we have a new home in Michigan, put down about 2" of topsoil over a
mostly clay base. We seeded the front about 3 months ago, and it is
growing slow but OK(no weeds). However, we planted the back about 7
weeks ago, the weeds are now really bad. I think the weed plants from
the neighborhood wend to seed and the weed seeds blew(floated) to the
back and implanted themselves in our back yard before the grass took.
Now I have about 80% grass / 20% weeds in our back yard. the grass is
still quite fine(small bladed). My question is: can I put down
chemicals(weed and feed) to kill the weeds? I am concerned about
killing the newly planted grass. We have about .75 acres in the back
and I DONT want to kill it all and re-seed HELP

Thanks,

Dean Mathews