Old 21-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Simon Avery

Default Advise required on hawthorn hedging

(rob w) wrote:

Hello rob

rw We have at the bottom of our new garden a very old hawthorn
rw hedge, this is very thick and quite tall but the bottom 3 to
rw 4 feet is bare and quite open. It would be very easy to
rw crawl through. My question is can this hedge be thickened up
rw or should I remove and replant, I have heard of laying it
rw over but the bottom trunks are very thick and I’m not
rw sure if this will work. Any thoughts / advise gratefully
rw accepted. Rob

Hawthorn lays quite well, even up to 6" or so diameter. Best done late
Autumn or early spring, always ensure that after laying the tree is
still pointing upwards (otherwise it'll die, sap won't go downhill).
Cut through about 2/3 - 3/4 on a diagonal, push. Either tie down the
tree or ram stakes through it to stop it being blown off the line.

If you make a complete pigs ear, then you might want to remove and
replant - but surely worth a try? Some rural craft people do short
courses for hedge laying - maybe worth a look around?

Or you could buy some whips and just infill the holes, sometimes that
works, although sometimes it doesn't.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/