Old 21-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Sue Walsh

Default Baby fantails

~ jan
The other day I was doing maintenance in my lily pond and found baby
fantails.

Jan,
I have only one fantail. The fantail does not seem to be able to keep
up with the other goldfish, it seems to have a harder time swimming.
Is this normal? I worry about it, since it gets pulled into the
skimmer almost once a day. Seems to be when it's looking along the
edges of the pond rocks for food that the skimmer current pulls it in
and it's not strong enough to swim out. It does not seem to be growing
as the other fish in the pond do. Are they normally frailer fish and
weaker swimmers due to the type of tails they have? Should I put it
back into a barrel (which is the only other 'pond' I own) or is it OK
in the big pond? I've also considered giving it to someone with a
pond that does not have a skimmer(if I can find one). What do you
think?

Sue W

See my pond album called 'Rippling Waters'
http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd