Old 21-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Stephen Carr

Default Newbie and grass

Hi all.
I have a rear garden that was landscaped last year to remove a decline in
it.

The builder turfed with what can only be described as "field turf", about 8
different grasses, weeds and even mushrooms which we never had before!!!

What I want is a good looking rear garden, I don't mind putting the effort
in (within reason)
So a few questions

1) Is it best to re-turf with a good quaily turf and then simply maintain
it.

2) Can this be fixed by simply turning the soil and re-seeding, will this
remove / kill all old grass and weeds

3) Or is there another way to get a good clean start.

My front garden is OK and to keep it in check by simply walking round and
pulling the head / leaves of any weeks I see, I so occasionally use weed &
feed. Does pulling leaves / heads actually kill them or am I simply keeping
them at bay and really should use something else or do something else.

Thanks