Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] ADMIN: Old archives

Chris Cochrane wrote:

snip

Maybe someone can find when the term "Internet Bonsai Club" replaced the "bonsai mail(ing) list" as a reference. The "tipped tree logo" discussion is probably easily traced. What other discussions carried significance for IBC's history?

Cool... :-)

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Chris:
In an idle moment I went back and did a search on this. This is what I came up with. The earliest reference that I could find to "Internet Bonsai Club" was in an email from Mike Bartolone on Dec. 133, 1994 wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New
Year.

Then I found this interesting post from July 24, 1995 in an apparent discussion about the possibility of a paper newsletter for the IBC (!):

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
In article
Bob writes:

After reading the posts on organizing this group I must
confess that I feel a little perturbed. In my opinion part
of the beauty and power of this medium is the ability for
anyone to gain access immediately and for free. All of the
listed benefits can be gained by anyone by joining one of the
organized bonsai groups. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture
but my two cents says if it isn't broken don't try to fix it!

I tend to agree with you. The Internet Bonsai Club is really just a
nifty label Dan Cw started on the bonsai web page site at WSU for lack
of nothing else to call the W3 site and this newsgroup. But when
enough people take a label like the 'Internet Bonsai Club' seriously
and even publish it in good ole fashioned paper form in order to give
none computer bonsai-ers a more tangible concept to grasp...the idea
kind of sticks around. I don't see any reason why the Internet Bonsai
Club can't still grow in free form. Other Bonsai web sites are starting
to sprout. Perhaps even BCI and ABS will have homepages of their own
in the future and hence become part of the Internet Bonsai Club just by
existing on the Internet.

But the idea of how to identify Bonsai Internetters at bonsai functions
in the real world still fascinates many of us. Some of us (like me),
still prefer to remain anonymous at real world events.

Best regards,
Geoline Havener-Memphis Bonsai Society Editor

Being interested in history I always enjoy going back to primary sources, so this was fun, considering I don't recognize the names of these early people. Out of curiosity, who on the list was involved at this early stage? I saw a post from Iris Cohen fro
m sometime in 1995. Anyone else?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++