Old 21-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim W

Default Mulching to keep down weeds

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:07:38 GMT, "Penny Morgan"
wrote:

My favorite way, and most successful way, to keep weeds from sprouting up
everywhere in my vegetable garden is to layer the area with thick (whole
sections) of black/white newspaper and then mulch with either grass
clippings, shredded (non-treated) hardwood mulch, or dried leaves.

Every newspaper I see nowadays has at least SOME color in
it. Do you page through and remove those pages? Or can
they safely be ignored?

I think it is probably intended to mean matt papers as opposed to glossy
print. Most newsprint is printed with safe non toxic vegetable based
dyes nowadays. If in doubt query the papers you most commonly use...
The only thing you must be aware of with any highly cellulose based
mulch such as paper/chips/cardboard etc to to ensure that there is some
nitrogen fixing plants or supplementation to prevent nitrogen lock up as
a mulch breaks down. This can be done by adding a little high N organic
fertiliser such as dried blood/pelleted chicken manure/grass clippings
etc. (Some of the above may not be available in your location.
alternatives may be used.)

//
Jim