Old 21-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Advise required on hawthorn hedging

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

Blackthorn's nice in a hedge, but it spreads a lot. Long-tailed tits
like it.

That's good to know - I love long tailed tits, and get flocks of them in
the garden now and again.

The red currant idea is terrific: gooseberries, too.

Gooseberries excellent - I have one growing under a dogwood - it's
flourishing, rooting so it's now 6 ft long, and cropping well. I think
it would be good in a hedge.

Primroses,

Cowdlips even better - they tolerate the dryness in summer better than
primroses.

snowdrops, and lungwort on the north side, ramsons if it's
moist; bluebells, of course.

I'd be surprised if it was moist enough under a hawthorn hedge.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: