Old 22-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Steve B

Default Mould retardants in bread: was: Allergy to Bt cotton?

On 21 Aug 2003 23:38:10 GMT, Brian Sandle
wrote:

If benzoate is a bacteriostat in bread would it also be inside us? A
very large proprtion of our faeces is bacteria. Whereas benzoate may
not hurt us immediately it might over a duration, especailly for
people who have bread as a greater proportion of their diet.

I had 30 years on British bread (in the early part of that, at least,
it was probably benzoate-ridden) and it didn't seem to affect my
faeces. Mind you, I've never known how to answer the embarrassing
question "are you keeping regular?" Well, no, I don't get terribly
concerned if I have to squat at different times today from yesterday.
Maybe I should.

At any rate, I haven't noticed any difference in the operation of my
intestinal processes before and after benzoate.

I repeat, there's always the option of "benzoate-free bread" just as
we have "gluten-free bread" for people sensitive to that.

Or, if you insist: "bread" and "benzoate-enriched Neva-Mold bread"
(with a government warning about a possible risk of deviant
digestion). I don't see it would do anyone any harm.

Let us take responsibility for our own health.

Steve B.

A couple of groups pruned: asthma is clearly less relevant to bread
than cotton, and I don't know why either is particularly pertinent to
Hamilton.