Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
zxcvbob

Default Fluorescent Lights

Babberney wrote:
On 21 Aug 2003 13:40:05 -0700,
) wrote:

All,

I recently purchased a quality $30 fluorescent light made by GE from
the hardware store that came in a box describing the product as
specifically for aquarium and garden use. Also in the lighting
section were other cheaper and larger fluorescent lights for
home/commercial use.

Are all fluorescent lights the same as far as gardening? In my
apartment I have plenty of indirect light but this will be the only
source of direct light for my plants. I kept the receipt and don't
know if I should take it back and do an exchange. I would appreciate
your comments/thoughts.

Peter

The fixture and ballast (which "turns on" the bulbs) are
irrelevant--any will work as well as another, at least in teh short
term.

The type of bulb is important. AFAIK, there are three basic types of
bulbs: cool white, warm (or soft) white, and wide-spectrum. Wide
spectrum is commonly used for plants because each of the others lacks
some of the spectrum (cool is more blue but less red, warm is the
other way round). You can put one of each of the cheaper bulbs in a
two-bulb fixture and compensate, but maybe not to the extent of
duplicating the output of two wide-spectrum bulbs.

That's all based on some research I did a long time ago--someone may
report a new type of bulb and/or fixture I don't know about.

Keith

Your information is about 20 years old. The best inexpensive lamps you can
get now are triphosphor lamps and electronic ballasts. If you stick to 4
foot lengths, they are *very* reasonably priced. The lamps, GE
F32T8-SPX30, or Philips F32T8-ALTO-830 (or something very close to that)
are about $2 or $3 each. The ballasts, which will work in old fixtures
designed for F40T12 lamps, are less than $20.

Best regards,
Bob