Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Fluorescent Lights

Generally you can use just about any fluorescent light.

You plants will appreciate it if you add some incandescent lights as
well to make up for the missing colors of most fluorescent lights. This is
less important or not needed at all if you use the more expensive garden or
plant type lights.

Using cheap fluorescent fixtures is a waste, the better (electronic
ballast type) last longer, don't hum and are more efficient.

If you are going big time, consider mercury vapor types. They are even
more efficient and the point about adding some incandescent light still
applies.

Different plants need different mixes of lights so experiment. Have
fun. It is more art than science.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

wrote in message
om...
All,

I recently purchased a quality $30 fluorescent light made by GE from
the hardware store that came in a box describing the product as
specifically for aquarium and garden use. Also in the lighting
section were other cheaper and larger fluorescent lights for
home/commercial use.

Are all fluorescent lights the same as far as gardening? In my
apartment I have plenty of indirect light but this will be the only
source of direct light for my plants. I kept the receipt and don't
know if I should take it back and do an exchange. I would appreciate
your comments/thoughts.

Peter