Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Mark. Gooley

Default Peachy-Orange and Purply Bed

"Shiva" wrote:
It's a wreck. Half of the bare roots died and I am wanting
to rip Hansa out really, really bad. (Larry, it is the
heat here. It just really, really hates it. Mine is
NOT going to do what yours is doing! Mine is all crispy,
though it has received a deluge! Yours is GREAT! But mine
has got to GO!)

My Hansa is near death, but the rugosae still in pots are mostly
rudely healthy. Some have a few cripsy leaves, but the Blanc
Double de Coubert is impersonating a weed. Likewise, the Sir
Thomas Lipton I planted in the wet is also near death, whereas
other varieties with obvious rugosa blood (those leaves make
it obvious!) yet in pots are thriving.

In my limited experience, Rugosae do not mind the damp and zone
8b Floridian heat here. They hate wet feet, and they tolerate them
less than most other roses do.

I got my 20 cubic yards of compost and I've already replanted
some Austins in little artificial hills, hoping to save them from
sickliness and perhaps death. It is a testimonial to my Gertrude
Jekyll (I'd buried the label and forgotten what it was!) own-root
that it's still alive after nearly three years of neglect, and occasionally
even blooming.

Mark., will keep everyone posted on the results of replanting sodden
bushes in little artificial hills like blisters