Old 22-08-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default pond filter

Hi Sue,

I must have missed that thread, what was your water quality problem?
~ jan

On 21 Aug 2003 05:47:25 -0700, (Sue Walsh) wrote:

Jan,

My pond is oval(more or less) 18 x 8 x 2' deep plus the stream. I
estimate it at 1650 gallons, surface area between 110-120 square feet.
I have 9 gold fish (from 3" to 9"), 10 lilies (covers 3/4 of
surface), 2 reeds(small), 5 iris(small), and 60 bunches(10 stems each)
of anacharis plants.

With reference to anacharis or other underwater oxygenators, when I
set up my pond I was told by the local pond guy to use 75-100
bunches(he says 7 stems per bunch)and also from the on line pond
calculator at...

http://webpages.charter.net/crush11/uscalc/usoval.htm

...to add 55 bunches (I'll guess they meant the 10 stem standard
bunches).

Reciently when I posted about water problems, I was advised to remove
some of my plants? I don't remember who suggested it, but I've been
wondering about it since then on & off. What plants would I remove
and why? Seeing your list of plants and realizing you have a similar
seniaro(plant wise not water problems), what do you think? Are there
too many anacharis? Can't remove the lilies they are my reason for a
water garden and I need them for surface cover. There's not much
else. BTW...water is clearing, thank heavens after a lot of praying
to the pond gods.

Sue W

See my pond album called 'Rippling Waters'
http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~