Old 22-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Sam Hopkins

Default Pond Lighting

Landscape lights generally use AC for their power. However, because
landscape lights are prone to get wet they drop down the voltage to 12-24
volts. The more the volts the more "push" through wire the current has. It
takes about 70 volts to push a current through human body. So if a light
that's on a walkway gets water in it for some reason or shorts out because
of rain, etc it won't kill someone when they walk by.

FYI. If AC goes through your heart it will stop it and it will not restart.
If DC voltage goes through your heart your heart will stop but will restart.

Sam

Since landscape lights are outdoors and prone to get wet they
"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...
Hmm, the discussion about the voltage gave me another idea, although I'm
hopelessly challenged electricity-wise:

We have some deck lights on vertical surfaces to light the various deck
steps (3 sets). The lights must be fairly waterproof, since we have
hurricanes here, but I don't know if they'd be suitable for use

underwater.

The lights are connected to a Malibu Intermatic(?) transformer. It

mentions
120v input & 12v output.

We'll get you "enlightened" yet! ;-)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"joe" wrote in message
I have some low voltage lighting in my pond - those little 20 watt

spots.
I'm not very happy with the result though. They light the waterfalls

very
well, but in the main pond there doesn't seem to be enough dispersion.

Has
anyone had any experience with those "rope" lights? Are they 120 volt or

low
volt and can they go in the pond?

Also, if I move my spot lights out of the pond and have them shine down
into the water, will that give a better effect? What I really want is

just
"glow" in the pond.

Any other lighting tips will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Joe