Old 22-08-2003, 06:17 AM
DaveDay34

Default Apple protection

Your thoughts please on how to protect apples from wasp predation!

We have successfully protected our currant and strawberry crops from
the birds this year with mesh cages. But have lost virtually all of
the apples (good crop from two compact eight foot trees) to wasps and
flies which seemed to get to the fruit before we felt it was 'ripe for
the picking'.
The smallest plastic mesh I have seen is about quarter inch square
which would be no good against the insects.

Do I have to resort to buying old net curtains from junk shops, or is
there a solution out there waiting for my custom?

--
ned

I have to suggest to you that old net curtains are the best option, and if you
don't have your own, then those found at charity shops and the like are the
next best option. You should probably couple the nets with something more
desirable to tempt the wasps away from your apples. A glass jar with jam and
water in it usually attracts the wasps and acts as a good trap too.

Hope this helps.

Dave.