Old 22-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Cloudy Pond Water

In article , Roz Cawley
writes
I was thrilled when I had a new wildlife pond and bog garden installed a
couple of weeks ago - but not so thrilled to see that the landscape
gardener had lined the pond with the subsoil that he had excavated from
"the hole" - because our subsoil happens to be horrible, yellow clay,

I thought you wanted a bog garden?

unlike the better, though sandy topsoil that he buried/left in a heap at
the side of the garden :-((.

What would you have *wanted* him to do with this?

Two weeks later, and the pond water still has a murky, yellow cloudiness

As the murkiness from the soil diminishes, you will get a build up of
algae which will make the pond appear equally murky. This is quite
normal in a new pond and will clear. It can take up to three years, in
some cases, for a pond to clear naturally.

- which I assume is the suspension of fine clay particles still floating
around in it.

We set in a small pond last year and it has taken about a year for it
to clear - and it was a plastic pond which we did our best to keep soil
out of, not entirely successfully.
The best way with a pond it to make sure you have plenty of surface
hugging plants and lots of patience. Work with nature - forget
chemicals.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,