Old 22-08-2003, 10:02 AM
anne

Default Help! What do I do with this cucumber?

Ann wrote in message

"anne" wrote in message

snip
Some of the tiny cucumbers have withered away - there doesn't seem to be

any
disease or anything. The rest of them are still tiny (3 inches max).

Would
it be OK to hack a lot of the plant down or would this kill it?

snip

I've found the tiny cucumbers wither sometimes too. I think it might be
because there are too many. I usually thin them out, definitely no more

than
one per leaf axil, and maybe take them out from every other one. This

gives
the rest more chance to grow.
If it's getting so big then you could pinch out the growing tips anyway,
fruit or no fruit, but new shoots will grow from each leaf axil. I

wouldn't
know about drastically cutting it back, I've never tried it (mine have

never
done quite so well). I shouldn't think it would kill it, but can't be

sure.
One of mine just withered and died within 2 days, never did find the

reason.

Ann

Thanks. There must be at least 20 cucumbers on there, all very tiny as I
said and they are "supposed" to be ready for picking this month - so my book
says. The book didn't mention thinning out, but something's got to be done.
I think I'll combine pinching out with taking off some fruit, aswell as
cutting back some of the stems. I may aswell, because it's very unlikely the
fruit will have enough time to grow to full size this time of year. Next
year I'll grow one outside!