Old 22-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Roz Cawley

Default Cloudy Pond Water

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Finally - two weeks???? - if it upsets you, look away.
Most biological systems take a while to stabilise.
You wouldn't expect a lawn to grow from seed and establish in two weeks.
You wouldn't expect fruit trees, grape vines, food crops, anything to be
fully mature two weeks after your initial planting.
This is like complaining that a climbing rose still hasn't completely
concealed your pergola in two weeks :-)

If you wanted a pond to be clear after two weeks you should have had a
plastic/butyl liner, filled it with tap water, then put some ready potted
plants from an aquatic centre in there.

Even I have more patience than that, David ;-). And to be fair, I am
talking about water clearing, not plants growing. I do not expect
miracles, but the murk has not cleared even slightly, and I was just
afraid that I had done something mistaken by leaving the clay in the
pond - apparently not. I'm just being a worrier - as usual.

As for looking away - not likely, it's far too interesting!

The thought of putting the fish back in amuses me though - I've just
taken 20 or so out, as I thought they were the cause of nothing else
thriving in there. (Except the water lilies - of which I now have 16,
after splitting up the original one in the spring. I guess that figures,
though, with all the "fertiliser" in there :-))

I guess I am going to have two pools with fish on the go now - and then,
of course, there is the water feature that my son wants to build outside
the bathroom window, so he can watch it while he......no, you don't want
any more details, I'm sure!
--

Roz Cawley
Autumn Cottage Diary