Old 22-08-2003, 04:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Cloudy Pond Water

"Roz Cawley" wrote in message
snip
Even I have more patience than that, David ;-). And to be fair, I am
talking about water clearing, not plants growing. I do not expect
miracles, but the murk has not cleared even slightly, and I was just
afraid that I had done something mistaken by leaving the clay in the
pond - apparently not. I'm just being a worrier - as usual.

As for looking away - not likely, it's far too interesting!

The thought of putting the fish back in amuses me though - I've just
taken 20 or so out, as I thought they were the cause of nothing else
thriving in there. (Except the water lilies - of which I now have 16,
after splitting up the original one in the spring. I guess that figures,
though, with all the "fertiliser" in there :-))

I guess I am going to have two pools with fish on the go now - and then,
of course, there is the water feature that my son wants to build outside
the bathroom window, so he can watch it while he......no, you don't want
any more details, I'm sure!
--

Roz Cawley
Autumn Cottage Diary

Roz,

Looks as though you are doing pretty well after all.
I don't thing the NG as a whole (myself included) fully appreciated your
setup from your first post.
Goldfish (or other carpish things) will eventually grow too large for
tadpoles to survive - we have this problem now.
I think you can get smaller native fish which will eat mosquito larvae but
not eat tadpoles - however I think sticklebacks do eat tadpoles :-(
There was a post a while back (either here or in alt.rec.ponds) which
mentioned small fish.
Our fish share their space with water hawthorn, pond weed (that straggly
stuff which goes berkserk in the summer), lillies and various potted things.
If your fish eat the weed, add more weed until they can't eat it all :-)
I gave some water hawthorn to a friend with a pond which had no plants in -
just a green soup with fish - and the fish ate it in a day.
However our fish don't eat all the weed, so I presume we have enough to fill
them up :-)

Best of luck
Dave R