Old 22-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Cass

Default Peachy-Orange and Purply Bed

In article , Mark. Gooley
wrote:

I got my 20 cubic yards of compost and I've already replanted
some Austins in little artificial hills, hoping to save them from
sickliness and perhaps death. It is a testimonial to my Gertrude
Jekyll (I'd buried the label and forgotten what it was!) own-root
that it's still alive after nearly three years of neglect, and occasionally
even blooming.

Mark., will keep everyone posted on the results of replanting sodden
bushes in little artificial hills like blisters

Mark, you might do a google search of mediterranean mound. There is a
nursery near Monterey that specializes in Mediterranean climate plants
that recommends it highly. The mounds are no more than 2 or 3 feet high
and fairly large around, say 12 feet. In our drought, the
recommendation is to water them once every 3 weeks.

You are mixing the compost with soil? I ask because my barn spread out
a lot of composted stable bedding all by itself and planted in it. It
has not been successful. Amended into the soil, however, and stuff
explodes.