Old 22-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Micro propagation

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[snip

Can I just also add to the above (all of which I agree with) that in some
cases microprop can produce very bad plants, that are hard to grow or not
true to name.

I don't understand how that could possibly happen, and as a matter of fact I
don't believe it. A plant which has been propagated vegetatively is a clone
of the original one. I.e. it has the identical genes.

only years of research tells the companies which plants are ok
and which are not. I have a small greenhouse with a mist bench, only half

of
which is turned on and it produces more plants than I need and more

quickly
than microproping, so why bother?

There are plants, such as the Disa, for which micropropagation is the only
feasible way of increasing a selected stock.
I have a feeling, but I am not altogether certain, that that is the only way
of propagating Berberis temolaica on its own roots.

Franz