Old 22-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Alan Gould

Default Beans gone over what use?

In article ,
writes
Having been away on holiday I come back to find my runner beans have
gone past it ie beans forming and tough. Is there anyway I can still
eat these or is it best just to let goo for seed

We pick our runners 2 or 3 times a week. Even so, there are still some
pods which manage to escape attention and have become tough and stringy
by the time they are picked. That becomes more so as the season
progresses, and by mid to late September the pods seem to be going hard
almost from the time they emerge from the flower. At that time we let 3
or 4 good strong looking pods go right on until fully ripened, then save
the seed from those for next season.

I picked a batch of runners today, some for our lunch, some for the
freezer, but there were half a dozen or so of them too knobbly for those
uses. I stringed those pods on both sides, put them through the bean
slicer, half formed bean seeds* and all, then microwaved them for 10
mins. along with the flesh of a courgette. I blended that mush with a
salad dressing mixture (cider vinegar, corn-flour, mustard powder,
yoghurt, salt pepper, olive oil, herbs etc.) then simmered it for a few
mins. to thicken. I shall nosh that as a dip with crackers this evening
while telling Joan where Monty Don has it all wrong in Gardener's World.
Great life gardening!

* Fully formed runner bean seeds should be avoided unless well boiled.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.