Old 22-08-2003, 07:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Anyone know how to make poppers?

Jack Straw wrote:

(Allview):

I'm growing "Mucho Nacho" jalapenos. Do I pick them when they are the right
size or when they have a little black on top? Does anyone know how to make
poppers to freeze? My favorite snack. (Poppers are jalapenos stuffed with
cream cheese, breaded and deep fried.)

or other cheese mixes--cheedar, colby, monterey. A restaurant here
does Chorizo (think spanish pepperoni) and grilled cajun shrimp diced
up.
I saw a post down the thread that suggested that restaurants use
picked jalapenos. That may be true, kind of like the wet-packed
mushrooms.

I wonder how much work pickling is...

We made them from fresh peppers once and they were *insanely*
hot. I mean it, they were some seriously hot peppers -- not even
the same idea of hot that you'd expect from a restaurant.

It does makes sense. People always say remove the ribbing and seeds
will cool it down, but it is always a far cry hotter than restaurant
jalapenos or those we get pickled in jars in the supermarket.

I love spicy food but if my mouth is going to be numb, it eliminates
actually tasting the food.

Anybody know of a breed of Jalapeno that is mild enough to make
poppers for normal people?
I saw some mild Anchos which look like they could be stuffed, but they
don't have that natural buld-shape.

BTW
I had my first error with hot peppers. Used some frozen beef & bean
burritos, sliced jalapenos, an anaheim, and a cayenne(rib removed),
added shredded cheese, some Cholula sauce and heated up (sour cream
added afterwards). Unfortunately it is very hot outside today and I
was sweating in the kitchen. The paper towel I used to wipe my
forehead must have always wiped the countertop. My forehead was on
fire for ten minutes. I washed it and wiped it repeatedly. It felt
like really bad sunburn--where you feel the heat steaming off your
skin, or having applied way too much IcyHot.

Just my anecdote.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener