Old 22-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] succulents as bonsai

We haven't kicked this around in awhile. Any thoughts on succulents as
bonsai?

Depends. Personally, I don't see the standard Crassula arborea (jade plant) as
a bonsai. Scale is too coarse. Among the Chinese, Portulacaria afra (elephant
bush) is a classic penjing subject. I still have the Operculicarya decaryi
which I wrote an article about 5 years ago. It can't get any taller due to lack
of headroom, but its trunk keeps getting fatter & it still looks like the
world's worst graft union. Very amusing.
Some of the other pachycauls & caudiciforms make interesting bonsai. I don't
care for Adenium obesum (desert rose) because again, it is out of scale. I
think some of the none-succulent xerophytes make more convincing bonsai if you
can keep them happy. Have you read Rowley's book on Caudiciform & Pachycaul
Succulents?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."