Old 22-08-2003, 09:22 PM
EvelynMcH

Default When do you harvest pumpkins?

I'm not sure when I'm suppose to pick my pumpkins. I have one giant
atlantic that is turning orange but I think it's going to get alot bigger.
Then I have the little jack o lanterns ( I think thats what they are called)
anyway, there are alot of those mini ones, do I wait? some are very orange
already.

You can cut them off anytime at all, but you probably want to wait until they
are very orange, since they won't ripen anymore once picked! You will notice
the leaves starting to die back and the stem attached to the pumpkin will start
to change color and die when the pumpkin is "done".

With the mini pumpkins, I cut them off as soon as they are orange and the size
I want. This will sometimes cause the vine to set more fruit, even hopelessly
late in the season. Remember that once you cut them off, they can begin to
decay, too.

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein