Old 22-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Fluorescent Lights

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Generally you can use just about any fluorescent light.

You plants will appreciate it if you add some incandescent lights as
well to make up for the missing colors of most fluorescent lights. This is
less important or not needed at all if you use the more expensive garden or
plant type lights.

Using cheap fluorescent fixtures is a waste, the better (electronic
ballast type) last longer, don't hum and are more efficient.

If you are going big time, consider mercury vapor types. They are even
more efficient and the point about adding some incandescent light still
applies.

Fluorescent IS mercury vapor, except that the envelope is coated with a
phosphorescent pigment. Mercury emission is rich in UV. That wavelength
roasts living tissue unless converted to visible spectrum. UV is wasted
on plants, anyway, since photosynthesis is most efficient with blue and
red bands.

Metal halide uses Hg vapor and a mix of halogen gasses (iodine, sodium,
bromine, etc) to conduct the arc. Exact mix is formulated to approximate
natural, noon sunlight as closely as possible; televised night baseball
games were one of the first applications. Efficiency is excellent,
surpassed only by HPS, but more favorable for vegetative growth.

HPS stimulates floral development because its spectrum is close to low
angle, autumn sunlight. It was designed for cheap security lighting, where
color rendition doesn't matter. Home Depot annual flats are finished under
this type of bulb because unknowing customers are more likely to purchase
blooming rather than vegetative stage plants, which can better acclimate
themselves to their gardens.

Different plants need different mixes of lights so experiment. Have
fun. It is more art than science.

Weak bands can be compensated for by adding a couple of the same tubes or
bulbs. Old-fashioned T12 fluorescents are cheap enough just to throw in
a couple more for insurance.

Use fluorescents if you're strapped for cash. Cool white tubes approximate
metal halide. Kitchen-bath tubes can be subbed for HPS.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

wrote in message
om..
All,

I recently purchased a quality $30 fluorescent light made by GE from
the hardware store that came in a box describing the product as
specifically for aquarium and garden use. Also in the lighting
section were other cheaper and larger fluorescent lights for
home/commercial use.

Are all fluorescent lights the same as far as gardening? In my
apartment I have plenty of indirect light but this will be the only
source of direct light for my plants. I kept the receipt and don't
know if I should take it back and do an exchange. I would appreciate
your comments/thoughts.

Peter