Old 22-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Seattle's Street Margins

Richard wrote in
:

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in
:

Paghat wrote in an earlier post, Today the city of Seattle put out
an announcement for everyone to water their street margins' trees
____Reply Separator_____
Street margin? Is this the strip between the curb and the sidewalk?
In our locale (Pittsburgh, Pa. metropolitan area) we call this the
Devil Strip. It doesn't belong to you, but your responsible for it's
upkeep and maintenance.

This year, our city council (Lincoln, Nebraska) finally made it legal
to grow anything other than lawn grasses and 'approved' trees in the
curb strip. Not that the law had previously kept people from planting
flowers, shrubs, vegetables, etc. in the space anyway, but there was
always the threat that someone who was po'd at you would report you
and you'd get 'the letter'. The only caveat is that plants need to be
kept under 30 inches, to allow clear views. Now, if they would let us
use rock and gravel there...

Probably sacrilegious to say here, but I wonder if anybody's ever put
down Astroturf and plastic flowers and nobody noticed.