Old 23-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Bob Adkins

Default Green Farm Pond

On 22 Aug 2003 17:28:08 -0700, (Dave) wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I should do to get this water clean and clear,
and not stinky anymore?

Since the springs are non-fertile, it's most likely caused by runoff from
fields.

I'm building a 1.4a pond, and I built a levee all the way around it to
prevent runoff from simply running in and carrying grass and topsoil with
it. I am making a choke point where all runoff will percolate through a
large filter bed.

A 2a pond is a bit large and laborious to build a continuous levee around,
but you can probably divert most of the runoff easily with partial levee's.

Also, try to reduce the fertility of the runoff area if it's feasible. Cows,
horses, chickens, ducks, and geese are unending sources of nitrates and
phosphates. :-)

If you have shallow areas anywhere in your pond, encourage water weeds to
grow and they will help absorb some of the fertility.

Good luck,

Bob