Old 23-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default How to kill a tree stump

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:03:04 GMT, Scoby wrote:

Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep
continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft
and digging out the roots?

Keep pulling up the suckers as they appear, and encourage your
neighbor to do the same.

Eventually the food reserves in the roots will be exhausted and
the roots die.

I had a sumach removed once, and it threw up suckers for two
years, but eventually it was entirely gone. A white poplar threw
up suckers for three years, iirc, but again, it too eventually
gave up the fight.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada