Old 23-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Denis Durand

Default Viola

"Iris Cohen" a écrit dans le message de news:
My face is red. You know how we tell all these wet-behind-the-ears high

school
students with their term papers to do a Web search first. Well, just for

the
heck of it, I tried searching on "viola flowering mechanism" and sure

enough, I
found an article on chasmatogamous vs. cleistogamous flowering in violets.
However, the researcher was vague on what causes the difference, so if

anyone
has further information, I would like to know.
Iris,

Perhaps you will have some responses or explanations on
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/violet/
or
http://www.americanvioletsociety.org...About_Violets/
Duration of the daylight is probably the first factor
But I think nobody has a clear idea on 'Why?'

Best regards
Denis (French member of "Les amis de la violette")