Old 23-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Gordon Couger

Default Byssinosis from GM cotton?

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message
Gordon Couger wrote:

"Brian Sandle" wrote in message

"More
subtly, cotton dust generated from processing of BXN (Trademark)
cotton bolls - a major cause of the occupational lung disease
known as byssinosis - will be contaminated with residues of
bromoxynil and DBHA. The resulting toxicity of cotton dust by
this novel of contamination and any accompanying illness may be
exacerbated by toxins in the dust. Neither the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) nor the EPA appear to
have weighed this possibility in making their safety
determinations."

[...]
Cotton is pure cellulose it has no proteins or enzymes from the plant.

None
of the metabolites end up in fabric other than things made from motes

the
short fiber that are 20% short cotton fiber and 80% gin trash and dirt.

This
is made in to real low grade padding and non woven products. And almost

all
motes go in the gin trash because synthetics are too cheap and ginning

motes
too dirty to make it profitable.

Even in China?

China hand picks cotton and as a result has much cleaner gins.

But thanks for the explanation. Then it looks like `raw' cotton workers
may have different toxin exposure to the people and children working with
cloth, mostly in USA.

bull shit

Now I can remember some cotton towels I had some 20 years ago which had a
bad smell. But they didn't hurt my lungs. I am thinking that soaking them
a bit might have even worsened the problem. Would that be the cotton
itself breaking down relating to the dye process, and soaking aiding it?
The instruction on these T-shirts was not to soak them. No reason given, I
though it would be for colour loss, important for deeper coloured ones.

They get moldy.

Recent news has stated how Monsanto are embarassed by this: many GM crop
fields are now plagued by weeds resistant to Roundup herbicide. That means
extra doses of Roundup and other herbicides are being applied. Does any
of it stay in the cotton lint, and on to the spun thread?

It washes in in the many processes the cotton goes trhough.At this point
there is no Roudup in cotton Fiber.

If the lint of Bt cotton does not contain Bt I wonder if insects will
adapt to eating mainly the lint, thereby escaping too much toxin. Does a
wood borer get energy from cellulose?

Very damned little.

Do your home work before asking stupid questions.

Gordon