Old 23-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Micro propagation

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[snip

Can I just also add to the above (all of which I agree with) that in

some
cases microprop can produce very bad plants, that are hard to grow or

not
true to name.

I don't understand how that could possibly happen, and as a matter of

fact
don't believe it. A plant which has been propagated vegetatively is a

clone
of the original one. I.e. it has the identical genes.

only years of research tells the companies which plants are ok
and which are not. I have a small greenhouse with a mist bench, only

half
of
which is turned on and it produces more plants than I need and more

quickly
than microproping, so why bother?

There are plants, such as the Disa, for which micropropagation is the

only
feasible way of increasing a selected stock.
I have a feeling, but I am not altogether certain, that that is the only

way
of propagating Berberis temolaica on its own roots.

Franz

As regards identical genes, true but its not the only thing that affects
what a plant looks like, in the case of Hostas the colouring of leaves in
certain ways is not wholly genetic but partly viral therefore plants will
not come true. It
is well known that microproping can clear up virus from plants, but in
some cases (ie Camelia) the virus is what causes the difference in flower
colour. Many named scented leaf pelargoniums will not come true by

microprop
(I don't know why). But the following quote from one of my manuals may

give
a clue "When insufficient precautions are taken the appearence of "Sports"
genetic mutants or off types may be increased" apparently when callus
material forms it is very gentically unstable.

I cannot ubndrstand this. The callus contains the same DNA as the material
on which it forms.

I accept what you say, that it is sometimes the only way of getting some
plants onto their own roots, but running a nursery (which was the OP
question) is not just about propagating plants but doing so ecconomically

so
in the case of Clematis it was found microproping produced great plants

but
cuttings were cheaper and the company concerned stopped producing the
microproped plants. If plants that "have" to be microproped are needed its

lot easier to buy them in than set up a lab.

My own experiance of trying to grow microproped roses was that they caught
everything going and needed constant spraying to stay healthy, as they say
lifes too short! I do mine from cuttings now its easier quicker and

cheaper.
:~)

Charlie, you have taught me something. I did not know that virii are so
commonly responsible for plant characteristics.

Franz