Old 23-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Climber for a waterless location

All right, it is not THAT bad, but it is in the rain shadow of the
house and gets no direct rain at all. Cyclamen coum LOVE the location
and it is underplanted with them. It faces north east and there is a
paving block drive that gets rain and it can reach with its roots.

I had a Clematis henryi, which was spectacular for 2 years, OK for
one and then dropped dead. I have a Lonicera japonica, but it has
never really looked good because of the summer drought effect. I am
thinking of trying a passion flower, but am not sure whether it will
be happy with so little sun.

It is fairly sheltered by my standards, but nothing that can't take
an air frost of -5 Celcius has a hope, and it really needs to be
able to take -10 Celcius. I really want something evergreen, too,
if possible, which passion flowers aren't really (here).

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.