Old 23-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Jim W

Default struggling to make a living

Kate Morgan wrote:

A young couple I know have a organic smallholding, fruit and veg.and cut
flowers.They live in Gloucestershire very near the Vale of Evesham,
maybe that is not a good place to be for starters, anyway they are
really struggling to make ends meet, no time for trialing new products
etc.etc. Is this the same for most organic smallholders, are there no
grants to help young peeps trying to make a living, it does seem a shame
if they have to give up. They do do veg.and fruit boxes but there is not
much to be made in that.

kate

There is funding available AFAIK but it takes a bit of time to research.
Something I imagine they do not have a lot of. Have they contacted the
'ususal' places such as HDRA (which now has a smallholdings section)
etc.. They may also find that if they can process some of they're
produce in some way,they will add value to it..

It IS difficult though.

Good luck to them..

Jim