Old 23-08-2003, 07:02 PM
mad

Default Pleco????

i have never put a pleco in a pond. i have a 100 gallon aquarium and i had
several gldfish in it and a pleco to ostensibly keep the glass free of
algae. the first thing that happened was that it didn't eat algae. #2 was
that it attached itself to the side of one of my goldfish and rasped off the
slimnecoat. i couldn't figure out why that fish was sick and had a big round
sore on it. i was subbed to a goldfish list and one of the other subbees
told me to watch carefull, maybe it was the pleco. and it was. i caught the
blasted thing early one morning. the goldfish ultimately died and the pleco
disappeared down the tube into the septic tank.

yes, i know. lets don't go there. i wouldn't do it again, but i was angry.

#3 is that that blasted pleco was really difficult to net. i truly can't
imagine having to do it in a pond. they are fast, fast, fast! and you will
have to net it when the water temp starts to drop in the fall. plecos are
tropical fish and require warm water.

mad

--
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

From: (GaneaRowenna)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 23 Aug 2003 17:19:32 GMT
Subject: Pleco????

What are the pros and cons of a plecostamus in the pond? I have a 2500g pond,
3.5 ft at deepest, 18 goldfish and various plants. Anyone try this before?
Thanks,
ShawnAnne
High Desert, zone 6