Old 23-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Alan Gould

Default struggling to make a living

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Our friends (organic veg growers) manage by giving accomadation to young
people from europe who work all summer for free! in return for food and
accomadation, they don't give the immpression of having lots of spare cash
though! I don't know the name of the scheme but it certainly works.

In our commercial organic growing days - the 1980s - visitors of that
kind were dubbed as Werewolves or Woofers - misnomers for participants
in the WWOOF [UK] scheme, i.e. Working Weekends On Organic Farms. We had
quite a number of them at our place. They were all thoroughly nice
people, willing to do any tasks given to them, and tirelessly avid to
learn endless details about organic growing, self-sufficiency etc. etc.

We had many weekends of hilarious fun in their company, and we made some
good permanent friends .... BUT any hope of getting meaningful jobs
done, or making economic progress by their help was just not on.
Willingness does not equal ability, and belief in principles often does
not mean being prepared to carry them out. In reality, WORK is a four
letter word. and HARD WORK is something not mentioned in decent company.

Colleagues of ours had similar visitors on longer term schemes, but as
soon as they had become anything like useful, they would be off to take
paid work, often as advisors. I hope that similar schemes are still in
operation, they are enormously useful in promoting understanding between
people of differing lifestyles, but their primary aims are somewhat
illusory.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.