Old 23-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Frogleg

Default Favorite garden tool/best gift for gardeners

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:42:39 GMT, Heidi
wrote:

I would like to generate a list from folks of their
favorite/indespensible garden tools and/or their favorite gift to give
or receive related to gardening (other than plants .

Well, phoo. There was a long thread on this subject last year, but I
can't locate it.

I believe my suggestion was unglamorous consumables tailored to the
needs of the specific gardener. A friend came by and dropped of
several bags of almost-full potting soils of various types, and I was
delirious with joy. I have enough pots to supply a good-size
greenhouse, but am always deficient in saucers (of any size). I've
been given a million (well, a dozen pair) of gardening gloves which I
never use. After a number of years, I have nearly all the tools I've
tound successful, and don't need new ones. But if I found a 50lb sack
of compost or manure on my porch, I'd be delighted. If I were know for
canning/preserving, and particularly if I gave away a lot of my garden
produce, I'm sure I'd like jars and lids/seals.

Oh, and labor. If you *really* want to please a gardener, offer to
dig, prune, weed, mow, help build a fence or a trellis, or carry
things in or out in your pickup.

As you note, giving plants may be like giving puppies or kittens. If
the gardener has been yearning after something specific, that thing
would be a great gift. If anyone gave me another African Violet, I
swear I'd shoot him/her.

Like all really good gifts, the trick is to know what the person
needs/wants/would be delighted with. If you *know* they order plants,
seeds, or equipment from a specific outlet, a gift certificate would
probably be welcome.

The absolutely *worst* gift is some cute, expensive "gift basket."