Old 24-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Stephen Howard

Default football, marshmallow or fungi?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:59:33 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , shannie
writes
We found a *thing* growing at the bottom of our field, it has me completely
mystified as I've never seen anything like it before. Im presuming its some
form of fungi, its white, round, about the size of a soccer ball and looks
like a big piece of marshmallow!.

There's a very good chance that it's a giant puffball. If you can get
it firmly identified, it is reputed to be one of the most delicious of
all fungi. Lucky you!!

But do check the identification first!!!

Ain't much else is can be!
What a find!!
Be sure to keep an eye on the site next year - giant puffballs are
better when they're tight and firm.. your specimen may have gone over.
Slice it and see - if it's firm and bright white then it's an 'eater'.

Beat the yolk of an egg, dip a slice of the fungi in it and saute in
butter, What a treat!
Makes a superb breakfast - has the same texture as an omelette, but
with a lovely nutty flavour.

Lucky you!

Regards ( and envy )

www.shwoodwind.co.uk