Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Mooshie peas

Default Mould retardants in bread: was: Allergy to Bt cotton?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:18:24 -0500, Katra
posted:

Steve Bell wrote:

"cp1c" wrote in message ...
Ingredients identified in the Foray 48B spray are
methyl paraben
(methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate), benzoic acid/sodium benzoate,
propylene glycol, potassium sorbate, sorbitol, hydrochloric acid,
and polyacrylic acid.

The other ingredients - Btk, fermentation solids and water - are already
publicly known.

all harmless by themselves but some people react badly to this combination
in a very fine aerosol when inhaled

A question that's long been in the back of my mind: I understand
sodium benzoate and methyl benzoate are (or were) used as mould
retardants in bread, but are now banned, at least in NZ, if not more
widely.

What is the perceived harm here, and is it greater than the potential
ill-effects of eating mouldy bread?

Any clarification welcome. It looks as tho' all groups in the header
would be relevant in one way or another, but aplogies if I'm OT for
some.

Steve B.

Why don't you just give up bread like I did?

But aren't you obese diabetes 2?

It's not that good for you anyway....

Not for you, but it is for everyone else.

That way you won't have to worry about it. ;-)

On that strange logic, you could avoid all worry by giving up eating.

And it helps in weight loss/maintenance.

Exactly. You'll definitely lose weight if you eat less.

If you eat bread, you may just as well be
eating donuts. :-P

Do they have whole-multigrain donuts?

Refined flour is as bad
as sugar when it comes to carbohydrate metabolism.

All refined foods should be avoided.
White flour has some protein in it.

But, that's just my opinion...

Ayup. You really should state where you are coming from though.

When I did my research on food sensitivities in an attempt
to control my IBS, (two of the main contributors to that
painful, lifelong condition are food sensitivities and stress),
I discovered that 5%, 1 out of every 20 people, is sensitive or
allergic to wheat proteins!

In which population, and how measured?

That's one hell of a lot of people.

See questions above

I wonder if a population who ONLY eats pure white bread might become
sensitive to all the wheat protein that one is exposed to quickly in
this food.