Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Mooshie peas

Default GM crop farms filled with weeds (Was: Animals avoid GM food)

On 21 Aug 2003 03:41:31 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:

You have a related problem - another unnatural agricultural procedure that
was warned about: feeding meat to cattle, causing spread of BSE.

Feeding meat to cattle is NOT "unnatuaral". And "unnaturalness" has
nothing to do with BSE.

the article is so grossly simplistic as to be fatuous

Such statements as we often see from the agbiotech sector, that we have to
get up production to feed the world are rather stupid. There are surpluses
aren't there?

Not where the folks are starving, and that's what counts.

Work is what is needed, and the chance to learn about
nature. It is a very tough way of having farmers learn about nature by
having them coping with giving their allegiance to herbicide tolerant
crops for more profit but finding that they have to spend a whole lot more
since the weeds have become tolerant.

Where has this happened? Other than the natural level of weeds
becoming tolerant of different circumstances

If new herbicides are developed the same thing will happen again and the
farmers will go under further.

Go under what? Are you saying that weed control is a useless activity?

The FAO is pushing non-GM for the developing countries.

URL so we can read why?

Now I see some
farmers in UK are working like third world farmers for very low hourly
rates.

Are you confusing deregulation/globalisation with technological
progress?